Thanks to having an incredibly cheap farmer’s market every Wednesday and Saturday, we’re able to live like kings every once in a while. Most marketstalls have €1 bowls, that, as the name says it, are filled with things that you can take home with you for just €1. This can be fruit, vegetables, or mixes (ingredients for tomato soup for instance). For this meal, I got lucky: a one euro bowl full of asparagus! I think about 700 grams (which you would usually pay around €7 for… score! So we decided to make one of our “Burgundian” staple dishes: asparagus wrapped in smoked, dried ham. With a side of mashed potatoes and drowned in gravy (any other amount of gravy is useless..).
You will need:
125 grams of Schwarzwalder schinken (or other smoked, dried ham) (30 grams protein)
700 grams of green asparagus, this is between 15 and 18 stalks (7 grams of protein)
20 grams of butter (0,2 grams of protein)
1 kilo large (floury) potatoes (20 grams of protein)
150 milliliters of milk (5,25 grams of protein)
500 milliliters of meat-stock (1 gram protein per 500 ml)
1 or 2 spoonfuls of cornstarch (maizena)
63,27 grams of protein for this full meal, which is about 31,5 grams per person.
Now how to make it:
1. Preheat your oven to about 200°C / 400°F
2. Cut up your potatoes into bite-sized chunks and start to boil them.
3. Chop off the ends of your asparagus stalks (don’t cut off too much) and wash them.
4. Boil your asparagus in another pot for about 4-5 minutes.
5. Your asparagus is done when your can easily stick a fork in it, when they get to this point, drain the water and run some cold water over them.
6. Wrap 2 or three asparagus stalks in one piece of ham and place on an oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and put them in the oven for about 5 – 10 minutes.
7. While your asparagus is in the oven, your potatoes should be about ready, again you should be able to easily stick a fork in the potato, and it should fall apart a bit.
8. Drain your potatoes, and mix in milk and butter. Mash your potatoes until the chunks are out and you have nice and creamy mashed potatoes.
9 Quick last step: bring 500 milliliters water to a boil and stir in cornstarch. This is simple and easy gravy.
10. Take out your asparagus and plate your food!